I know what you’re thinking… isn’t this a fall recipe? It’s a reasonable question, to which the answer is ummm, yes!? I discovered some dried apples in a snack box that was sent to me (Naked Snacks  if you’re interested) and had this urge to make apple crisp granola. In truth I was going to save the recipe until the fall but it was so darned good that I couldn’t wait: patience isn’t my strongest virtue lol!
You can store this granola for 3-4 weeks in an air tight container. I make homemade granola all of the time (here is my TOP SECRET granola recipe  that is a family favourite, I give it out at Christmas time!). Charlie LOVES this granola, and it’s especially amazing when made into an apple crisp parfait (again, jumping the gun on seasons here). Simple cook down a couple of peeled diced cored apples with a touch of water on low in a pot, add a nub of brown sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon. SUCH an awesome breakfast when layered with Greek yogurt! I mean, you could even package it up in a cute clear bag and tie it with some rafia or gingham ribbon of some sort and voila, a sweet homemade hostess gift! Make sure to use gluten free oats and spices if you want to make this gluten free.
Makes about 10 cups
- 5 cups old fashioned oats
- 3 cups diced (1/4”) dried apple slices
- 3 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup hemp hearts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup oil (avocado or canola oil work well)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 300F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, apples, pecans, hemp hearts, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Toss together to combine.
- In a medium bowl combine the oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir to combine and slowly pour it over the oat mixture, tossing to combine as you pour. Stir until well combined.
- Divide the granola evenly between the two prepared pans and bake until just light golden brown for 35-40 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes. Cool completely before enjoying.