This Chocolate Banana Olive Oil Cake is perfectly moist and tastes super decadent, but is higher in fibre and lower in sugar than other cakes.
Who doesn’t LOVE banana cake? Our clan is obsessed, and the novelty of a freshly baked loaf of banana bread coming out of the oven never seems to wear out. I’ve had the same recipe on repeat for over 25 years (there’s a reason, it’s SO GOOD… and yes, I’m that old if you are doing the math lol), and figured it was time to give another version a whirl.
Olive Oil Cake
You think I’d be sick of it by now, but nope. One thing that I’ve learned to love are simple recipes, as few steps as possible is 100% my jam (until my laundry learns to fold itself I can’t see this changing anytime soon). This cake requires no fancy equipment, you can almost make it with your eyes closed!
Using olive oil adds moisture and cuts down on saturated fat in your baking! I’ve been really digging olive oil for baking lately: I think it stems from the 30 or so odd times I made that citrus olive oil cake for the cookbook trying to get it perfect (if you follow me on Instagram stories you’ll know what I’m talking about).
Make Cake into Muffins
If you want to make these into muffins (I do this all the time), simply adjust the bake time to 18-20 minutes. Should you wish to make them gluten free simply substitute 1:1 gluten free flour (like Bob’s Red Mill or President’s Choice, both good brands that I love using) for the all purpose and whole wheat flour. Lastly, if you want to make them with ALL whole wheat flour go for it!
I still have to test them with a vegan option, but it’s on my radar!!
If you give this recipe a try, let me know how you liked it in the comments! I would love to hear.
Chocolate Banana Olive Oil Cake
Chocolate Banana Olive Oil Cake
This moist and delicious cake tastes super decadent but is higher in fibre and lower in sugar than other cakes. Adjust the bake time to 18-20 minutes for muffins.
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana 3 bananas
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour*
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- ½ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk almond, oat or regular milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease and flour an 8” round or square pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, banana, eggs and vanilla.
- Whisk together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Heat the milk in a microwavable cup until it starts to bubble, around 40 seconds, and stir in the baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients along with the milk mixture to the banana mixture and whisk together until just incorporated. Fold in the chocolate and pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
Bake until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick or skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes**. Cool completely before serving.
* sub 1 1/4 cups 1:1 gluten free flour for the whole wheat and all purpose flour to make them gluten free and use gluten free chocolate chips
**Adjust the bake time to 18-20 minutes for muffins.