No need for an explanation here. Fluffy buttermilk pancakes infused with lemon, a touch of vanilla, and studded with juicy blueberries. Is there any better way to start a Sunday morning? I think not!
You can add a tablespoon of poppy seeds to the batter to make them a lemon poppyseed blueberry variety – my favourite!
Makes 8 pancakes
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 c. flour (can substitute gluten-free flour)
- ¼ c. sugar
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 c. buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries plus extra for garnish
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave and cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork and add the buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest and cooled melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed: do not over mix! It will still look lumpy.
- Heat a griddle or pan with a small amount of vegetable oil on medium heat, pour into pancake shapes of your choice, sprinkle on a handful of blueberries onto each pancake, and flip when the bubbles appear on the top and the bottom is golden brown.
- Enjoy with whatever you like to dress your pancakes with!