Angel cakes are one of my favourite weekend recipes to make with the kids so I put a little spring touch on them and made these dreamy Lemon Ricotta Pancakes to brighten up your weekend!
While there is certainly nothing wrong with making Angel Cakes on repeat, it’s fun to switch it up every now and then. With spring arriving (hello sunshine!) I wanted to add a little bit of citrus to brighten up our day. These pancakes are such a treat and freeze well in the unlikely case you have extras.
I always get asked how I get such perfect pancakes, so I am sharing a few little tips I’ve learned throughout the years too.
4 Steps to the Perfect Pancake
- Start strong with the perfect batter! Make sure you don’t over mix your batter otherwise you’ll be left with chewy flat pancakes.
- I use an ice cream scoop (size 8) to drop the batter into the pan. It helps keep the pancakes a consistent size and allows for them to have an even cooking time.
- Perhaps the most important of all, the key to a perfect pancake is cooking it on the perfect heat! The heat of your pan really does make all the difference when it comes to pancakes. You want a medium (on the lower end) heat where you can get your pancake to be golden in colour. Practice makes perfect here and it might take a couple pancakes until you figure your heat out.
- Patience, patience, patience. The final little tip I have to the perfect pancake is not to rush it. Take your time and enjoy your morning, find the perfect heat and don’t flip your pancake until you’re sure it’s ready! It’s ok to peek under the pancake using the spatula to check on how it is browning.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
Lighty, fluffy, and full of the most delicate lemon flavours these pancakes are perfect for the springtime!
- 3 tablespoons melted butter (or vegan butter)
- 2 cups flour (can substitute gluten-free flour)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon packed grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave and cool.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a separate medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork or whisk and add the buttermilk, vanilla, lemon zest, ricotta cheese, lemon juice and cooled melted butter.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed: do not over mix! It will still look lumpy.
Heat a griddle or pan with a small amount of vegetable oil on medium heat, pour into pancake shapes of your choice (I use a size 8 ice cream scoop to measure mine), and flip when the bubbles appear on the top and the bottom is golden brown.
Enjoy with whatever you like to dress your pancakes with!