This Wake Up Smoothie combines a kick of coffee, chocolate and banana goodness. It’s the perfect way to jumpstart your morning!
Some days a gal just needs a little boost to get the engine started… (no judgement here!). If this sounds familiar, look no further! This Wake Up Smoothie is here to help. Easy to throw in a blender, this little beauty is the perfect amount of chocolate and espresso and to be honest, it’s not bad on the eyes either. Bring the café experience home with you and be your own barista. Order up!
Coffee Smoothie Ingredients
This Wake Up Smoothie has the following yummy ingredients :
- Milk of choice – I use unsweetened fortified almond or oat milk, but any unsweetened milk will work.
- Frozen Banana – the riper the better for sweetness, and keep it frozen for the best texture. Add more ice if using fresh.
- Vanilla – This goes great with coffee. You could also use unsweetened vanilla flavoured milk, and omit the vanilla.
- Coffee, DUH – I used instant espresso powder (Nescafé Espresso Instant Coffee is my go-to, comes in decaf too).
- Ice – You can use at your own discretion to adjust thickness.
- Dates – To add some subtle sweetness I add 1-2 pitted dates. Adjust accordingly (honey works too)!
- Cocoa or Cacao Powder – Because, chocolate. Cacao powder is less processed (different taste).
- Hemp Hearts – to add a boost of plant protein and omega-3’s.
What to add into a smoothie
We want to make sure your smoothie is going to satisfy your tastebuds AND nourish you! There are soooo many great additions I love to add into my smoothies. Keeping these stocked at home is crucial! Some of my favourites include:
- Hemp Seeds
- Protein Powder
- Chia Seeds
- Dates or Honey
- Turmeric or Cinnamon
- Natural Nut Butters
- Zucchini (great sub for bananas)
- Spinach or Kale (frozen works)
I am no stranger to a smoothie! If you are new to smoothies or are in a bit of a rut, I have so many great recipes for inspiration, and also a recent Smoothie Challenge, that offers up diverse flavours and ingredients for you to try! I love the flexibility of smoothies and appreciate the ability to adapt recipes based on what you have on hand in your fridge and freezer!
Make it kid friendly
Clearly you don’t want to be giving your kids caffeine. Simply skip the espresso powder or coffee for the kids and you will have an epic chocolate smoothie – instant supermom/dad status! Try using peanut butter for the nut butter for a smoothie that tastes like a chocolate peanut butter cup. SO GOOD.
Wake Up Smoothie
Wake Up Smoothie
This Wake Up Smoothie is just the right amount of coffee, cocoa and banana goodness. It's the perfect way to jumpstart your morning! Plus, breakfast in 5 minutes? Sign me up!
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder*
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup unsweetened milk (oat, almond or cow's milk)
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds (optional)
- 1-2 pitted dates, or more to taste** (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and serve!
*Sub 1/2 cup brewed coffee and use less milk
**Adjust the sweetness in this recipe to suit you! Add 1-2 pitted dates or honey to taste.