Rice pudding seems to be one of those childhood staple deserts that I keep coming back to. The best part is that it is so easy AND is naturally gluten free. If you want to make this vanilla bean rice pudding vegan, substitute the eggs for the chia seeds and the whole milk for the almond milk and voila, vegan comfort food in a pinch!
- 1 cup whole milk or almond milk
- 2 eggs, well beaten (or 2 tbsp. chia seeds mixed with 6 Tbsp. water)
- 2″ piece of vanilla bean (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Beat the eggs into the milk.
- Add the milk/egg mixture to the remaining ingredients and place in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Continue to cook the mixture, stirring and scraping the bottom, until it is thickened, about 4 minutes. You do not want to boil it as the egg will curdle!
- Divide into 4-6 dishes, sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!