This healthier Double Chocolate Omega-3 Zucchini Bread is great baking project that is a bit healthier than a lot of other recipes and doesn’t require any fancy ingredients or equipment!
I love adding hemp hearts to this recipe! Packed full of omega-3 fats, protein and fibre they are a great addition here.
Hemp hearts add a plant based source of omega-3 fats to this recipe and the walnuts in this zucchini bread add an extra dose of the same if you choose to use them. I experimented with the whole wheat flour: white flour ratio – this seemed to work best but by all means you can use all 100% whole wheat flour to add extra fibre!
Zucchini Bread Muffins
This recipe also makes great muffins. Simply adjust bake time to be 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
Can I Freeze Zucchini Bread
YES! I make large batches of this and muffins each summer with all my fresh zucchini and freeze it for later. This is the ultimate hack!
If chocolate isn’t your jam (WHY?? – kidding), check out this killer Apple Zucchini Loaf or this vegan version! Or why not spice up your morning pancake routine and go for these crowd-pleasing Zucchini Bread Pancakes?
Double Chocolate Omega-3 Zucchini Bread
Moist, packed with zucchini and so much healthier than the one we grew up with, this Double Chocolate Omega-3 Zucchini Bread is super delicious and freezes well!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup raw shelled hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup oil (avocado, canola or olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 packed cups grated unpeeled zucchini
- 2/3 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini ones are best)
- Preheat oven at 350 F.
Grease two small loaf tins and line with parchment paper. Alternately you can flour them after greasing to prevent the cake from sticking.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, hemp seeds, walnuts, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Add the oil, vanilla and zucchini. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated: fold in the chocolate chips. Stir just until combined, and divide between the loaf pans.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the tops are cracked a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Makes 2 loafs.