This healthier Double Chocolate Omega-3 Zucchini Bread is great baking project that is a bit healthier than a lot of other recipes and doesn’t require any fancy ingredients or equipment!
My current ingredient obsession seems to be hemp seeds, and let’s face it… it could be worse! Packed full of omega-3 fats, protein and fibre, I’ll look for any excuse to squeeze them into a recipe.
Hemp hearts add a plant based source of omega-3 fats to this recipe and the walnuts in this zucchini bread add an extra dose of the same if you choose to use them. I experimented with the whole wheat flour: white flour ratio – this seemed to work best but by all means you can use all 100% whole wheat flour to add extra fibre!
I try to keep a loaf of this in my freezer for unexpected guests, but SOMEHOW it always disappears. I guess that’s a compliment;)
If chocolate isn’t your jam (WHY?? – kidding), check out this killer Apple Zucchini Loaf or this vegan version! Or why not spice up your morning pancake routine and go for these crowd-pleasing Zucchini Bread Pancakes?
Double Chocolate Omega-3 Zucchini Bread
Moist, packed with zucchini and so much healthier than the one we grew up with, this Double Chocolate Omega-3 Zucchini Bread is super delicious and freezes well!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup raw shelled hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup oil (avocado, canola or olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 packed cups grated unpeeled zucchini
- 2/3 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini ones are best)
- Preheat oven at 350 F.
Grease two small loaf tins and line with parchment paper. Alternately you can flour them after greasing to prevent the cake from sticking.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, hemp seeds, walnuts, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Add the oil, vanilla and zucchini. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated: fold in the chocolate chips. Stir just until combined, and divide between the loaf pans.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the tops are cracked a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Makes 2 loafs.