You could make regular waffles for Mother’s Day… but why? Plain ol’ waffles get a tropical (and dairy-free) makeover with a double dose of coconut, dolled up with coconut whip and a drizzle of pretty raspberry sauce just in time to spoil your sweet mom on Mother’s Day!
We used our Vitamix Ascent 3500 Series blender to make quick work of the prep: these are simple enough to make that the kids can help out! I LOVE this blender. Not only does it come in white (my fav!), it is so simple and intuitive to use, and powerful enough to take on any job.
You can store any extra waffles (in the unlikely event you have left-overs) in a re-sealable bag and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Simply reheat them in the toaster and serve! In fact, I often make extras just to have for busy weekday mornings. We love adding a dollop of coconut whip (and a sprinkle of coconut if you wish) on top before pouring the raspberry sauce over the waffles, you can find it in the natural food section in the frozen aisle of most grocery stores.
Makes 6-8 waffles
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ c. sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 c. canned full-fat coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
- ½ c. shredded unsweetened coconut (plus extra for garnish if desired)
- coconut whip for serving
- fresh raspberries for garnish
Raspberry Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 c. fresh or frozen raspberries (thaw if using frozen)
- ¼ c. pomegranate juice (or a similar red berry version)
- 1-2 Tbsp. sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- Combine the ingredients for the Raspberry Sauce in your Vitamix Ascent 3500 Series blender. Place the lid on the blender and blend until smooth, starting at level 1 and increasing to level 6 (for about 1 minute). Set aside.
- Whisk together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on high until stiff.
- In a separate small bowl, stir together the vanilla, egg yolks, coconut milk and melted coconut oil. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until just mixed and fold in the egg whites and coconut.
- Cook in a preheated waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- Serve with a dollop of coconut whip, a drizzle of Raspberry Sauce and a handful of fresh raspberries (and extra shredded coconut if desired)… with a big cup of coffee, flowers and a tray for your mom in bed of course!
SHOP THE POST
This post was sponsored by Vitamix. All opinions are my own.