Growing up in Northern Alberta I was raised on comfort food like this hamburger soup. I love that I was able to transform it into a delicious plant-based version thanks to the Beyond Beef!
Soup is at the top of my list of meals that I love making for the family. One pot dishes are always king, and anything that can be made ahead wins big points with me! This soup ticks both boxes and is loaded with veggies that make it hearty and healthy. Yes, yes and yes!
Comfort food doesn’t have to disappear when leaning in to a plant based lifestyle, and this recipe is proof. If you need further evidence check out the latest post that we put together for a dreamy cozy plant-based Shepherd’s Pie that is also made with Beyond Beef. I’m obsessed with both of these dishes!
Beyond Beef, made by Beyond Meat, provides a great alternative to meat for your favourite recipes. It packs 20 grams of plant-based protein and has a nice neutral flavour that compliments so many dishes. You can find it at most major grocery stores in the meat department. Check out this post for a full run-down on the product!
I hope your family loves this soup as much as ours did. It keeps refrigerated for a few days and would also freeze well – bonus! Would love to hear your feedback below!
Plant Based ‘Hamburger’ Soup
This plant based version of hamburger soup is the ultimate comfort food on a cold day. Full of healthy ingredients, it comes together with no time at all!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion (finely chopped: 1 - 2 onions)
- 1 package Beyond Beef (453 grams)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 cups carrots, peeled (sliced and quartered)
- 1 cup celery (sliced: 2 stalks)
- 4 cups cabbage (thinly sliced: 1 lb)
- 2 large yellow or white potatoes, unpeeled (cut into ½” pieces*)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-796 mL can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 L vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped flat leaf parsley to garnish (optional)
- In a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, add the oil. Add in the diced onions and sauté until soft and translucent, 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add in the Beyond Beef and garlic and cook with the onions until lightly browned, 8 – 10 minutes. Add in the carrots, celery, cabbage and potatoes and continue to cook until the vegetables have softened. Add in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and 2 litres of the broth and let simmer 20-30 minutes. Thin with additional broth if needed and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy!
*you can substitute macaroni for the potatoes if desired. Simply add 2 cups of cooked macaroni to the soup once it is fully cooked.