For those moments when you crave something salty and crispy, this kale chickpea snack mix does the trick! You can bake the chickpeas if you want, but they just don’t get as crispy. This is a great fall snack, and is best served right away as the chickpeas lose their crispness. You could add some cayenne pepper (at the same time as the garlic powder) if you like a bit of heat!
- 4 c. washed and dried kale, torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ c. toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the kale with the olive oil, crushed garlic and sea salt and massage into the kale to coat.
- Spread the kale evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the kale chips are lightly toasted and dry. Set aside.
- Using a medium frying pan, pour enough oil in to coat the bottom (about a 1/4″). Dry your chickpeas well and carefully fry the chickpeas in four batches, tossing gently during cooking to avoid burning. Cook each batch until lightly browned, about 3 minutes, and remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat until all of the chickpeas are cooked.
- Place the chickpeas in a medium bowl and toss with the garlic powder and salt. Add the cooked kale chips and pumpkin seeds and toss together well. Serve!