If you follow me on social media you’ll know that I decided to test-drive the new Endy mattress, sheets and pillows back in February in pursuit of a better nights’ sleep. I can hear the parents all chuckle in unison… sleep? With kids? Good luck lady! While there is some truth to this (Max just started sleeping through the night, it’s a whole new world!), finding a comfortable mattress that lets you sleep when your kids do is SO IMPORTANT!
Let’s talk about sleep. I’ll be the first to admit that sleep isn’t my strongest suit in the wellness department. I’ve been known to work too late (sometimes in bed to make it worse), get up too early, and be the first one to bolt (usually unnecessarily) out of bed at the first peep my kids make, all things that I’m working hard to correct. The reality is that we all need 7-8 hours of sleep a night to function at our best (but no more than 9 hours a night for the record). There is a SMALL subset of the population who can get away with less, but there isn’t a work-around for the rest of us mere mortals.
Without enough sleep our bodies silently unravel. If being grumpy isn’t enough to make you want more sleep here are a few other reasons you really do need to get a SOLID 7-8 hours of sleep a night!
- Focus, Learning and Memory: We all know that it’s hard to focus and learn when we are sleep deprived. What’s more surprising is that it is just as important to get a good night’s sleep after learning something new in order to process and retain the information that has been learned.
- Emotions: I’m emotional enough on my own, the last thing I need is to be sleep deprived on top of it! A lack of sleep makes the amygdala (the centre of the brain that controls emotion) unable to regulate emotions. Well there you have it, blame it on the good ol’ amygdala.
- Brain Detox: Our bodies simply can’t repair themselves and function properly without sufficient sleep and our brains are the most highly impacted. Our brains flush out toxins during sleep using a plumbing system called the glymphatic system (the rest of our body does this through our lymphatic system, but our brains have this separate system that only functions when we sleep). So basically, sleep cleans out the brain.
- Weight loss and metabolism: Without sleep your metabolism doesn’t work properly. In fact, if you’re looking to achieve a healthy body weight, start with getting enough sleep! Our bodies metabolize and store carbohydrates more efficiently when we are well rested and important hormones that control our appetites are affected with a lack of sleep.
- Disease Prevention: A lack of sleep, especially on a regular basis, is associated with long-term health consequences, including chronic medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease, and that these conditions may lead to a shortened life expectancy. Yikes!
Knowing the importance of sleep, my hubby Charles and I were bent on finding a great mattress that worked for both of us. We are built just a bit differently to say the least! Charles is a big guy, 230 pounds and 6’2″ and has a very physical job. I, on the other hand, am a small gal who either cooks or sits at a computer every day, which takes a different type of toll on the body.
Here are the criteria that we judged it on:
Ease of Assembly: The mattresses, pillows and sheets come neatly packaged in boxes and arrive at your doorstep. Which means no wrestling massive mattresses trying to get them home from the store. Which is always fun, right? Not. All you do is open the box and put it on the bed. Oh yeah, super obvious but open the box in the room that you’re putting the mattress in (unless you want to turn your front entrance into a play centre like we did lol!) – clearly we are speaking from experience.
Firmness: The mattresses are firm but not too firm; there is just enough give to form to your body without you sinking into the mattress. Charles has a really tough time finding a comfortable bed and typically finds that his circulation in one part of his body is cut off at some point during the night, which clearly isn’t comfortable! In his words “I feel more supported and my legs don’t go numb: I get a better sleep”. He couldn’t sleep on his back on the old bed (which was still a very good bed for the record), his left leg would go numb half-way through the night. Enough said. One thing that I will say is that the bed isn’t as cozy as a traditional pillow-top mattress … since there’s no pillow-top!
Weight Transfer: I love that I can’t feel a thing when Charles rolls over in bed. I mean, aside from the fact that he rips the blankets off of me to stuff between his legs (thanks honey), you can’t feel motion on other parts of the bed which is really nice! Same thing when Charlie crawls into bed half way through the night (40% of the time for the record… but I wouldn’t change a thing, one day he won’t want to cuddle with his mom). The Endy mattresses area also designed to help control body temperature if that’s important to you.
Guest Reviews: Charles and I are only two people, and a study of two isn’t AS awesome as a study of, well, more! We used our guests as guinea pigs (blinded, well kind of, they didn’t know they were in our little ‘study’), and they ALL raved about their sleep!
Non-Toxic Materials: All foam used in making Endy products doesn’t contain harmful chemicals found in other foam products: no formaldehyde, phthalates, or flame retardants.
Adjustable Pillows: We’ve spent a small fortune on pillows trying to find the perfect height. People go out of their way to ridicule me actually for how many pillows we have on our bed! These Endy pillows are genius. One pillow that you can make as firm or as soft as you want by simply adding or removing handfuls of stuffing from the inside. Love it (and yeah, they’re super comfortable).
100 Day Trial: A no-hassel money back guarantee is offered for the mattresses so if you don’t like them, no sweat! If for any reason it’s not working out, you can just let Endy know within your trial time and they’ll offer a free, full-service pickup and process a full refund, no questions asked. So there’s zero risk in trying it out.
We received the Endy mattresses (one king for our room and two queen beds for our guest rooms), pillows and sheets in February and promptly unrolled them to put them on our box spring. Ok, so here’s the thing. We put it on our bed the very first night that we received it and weren’t thrilled with our first night’s sleep. We realized that the mattress really needed to decompress after being rolled up in the box; it took a few days for it to work its magic and fluff out. Once it had a chance to regain its shape we were thrilled with the mattress! Charles and I love it and so do our guests!
Use the code FRAICHE50 to get $50 off any size Endy mattress at endy.com
Have you tried the Endy mattress? Are you considering it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!
Thank you Endy for supplying us with the mattresses to test out for this post! All opinions are my own.