We usually do a picnic in a park for Mother’s Day with about 20 people and have done so for years. It’s kind of how our family rolls! If you also happen to be feeding a crowd for Mother’s Day this heart slab pie is absolutely perfect!
It’s not too sweet and is over-the-top delicious served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (Try the coconut dairy free variety, it’s out of this world). You can easily cut the recipe in half to make one smaller pie if your plans don’t include a crew of people!
- 10 c. (about 3 lb.) frozen unsweetened sliced strawberries
- ½ c. sugar
- ½ c. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- 5 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. vegetable shortening
- 1 c. (1/2 lb.) cold butter, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1/3 c. plus 2-4 Tbsp. ice water
- 1 egg
- In a food processor, add all of the dry ingredients and pulse to mix.
- With the food processor off, sprinkle the butter and shortening on top of the dry ingredients and pulse just until the fat is incorporated and is the size of peas.
- Turn the machine off, and drizzle the 1/3 c. water plus 2 Tbsp. of water over top. Pulse the dough until it starts to stick together in clumps (not one large dough ball). Add additional water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, if needed to get it to the consistency you desire.
- Divide the dough into two discs by pressing the dough together, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling it out.
To assemble the pie:
- Heat the oven to 425F.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out one of the dough balls in a rectangle approximately 1/8” thick to fit a baking sheet with sides. I used a 10×15” sheet. Transfer it to the baking sheet.
- Pour the strawberry filling evenly over the prepared pie crust.
- Roll out the second disc of dough to the same size, and using a small heart cookie cutter, cut heart shapes in the dough in your desired pattern.
- Gently roll the dough around the rolling pin to transfer it to fit the top of the pie, and carefully place it on top of the filling.
- Using your fingers, crimp the edge of the pie crust to form a fluted edge.
- Whisk the egg with 1 Tbsp. of water and brush over the pie crust.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes, until the pie is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool.