Some mornings are busier than I would like to admit, which leaves precious little time for a relaxing breakfast. These healthy breakfast bars are incredibly easy to bake and are great to grab (even out of the freezer) when you’re on the go.
I love this recipe because it is packed with nutritious berries, almonds and almond butter. These amazing nuts are full of Vitamin E, fiber, protein and healthy oils that help our skin glow and fight inflammation. I’m a huge fan, and try to include them in my diet on a daily basis. If you are looking for a great source for nuts, and almonds in particular, check out nuts.com and their almond page!
- 2 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp. corn starch
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 2 ½ cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup honey
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a 9×13” baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the blueberries, cranberries, sugar, corn starch, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients until well combined. Set aside ¾ cup of this mixture in a separate bowl.
- Press the remaining oatmeal mixture firmly in the prepared baking pan (press this down as well as you can to make it compact).
- Spread the berry mixture evenly over the top of the prepared crust, and sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture evenly over the berries.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the berries have cooked down.
- Cool in the pan and cut into bars once completely cooled.