Re-live your childhood with these Peanut Butter & Jam Bars! They are made from super simple ingredients and come together in a food processor in minutes (my kinda recipe).
How to Make a Healthier Bar
A lot of snack and granola bars on the market are super processed and full of refined sugar: not an awesome ‘everyday food’. Making your own food doesn’t have to be complicated. If you can swing it, I 100% recommend investing in a food processor. They are a game changer in the kitchen, especially when it comes to food prep or making things like these bars. This is the one I have.
In most recipes you can cut down on the sweetener and sub whole grain versions of ingredients (such as flour) without having a big impact on the taste. I love using oats as a base in my bars (rich in healthy fibre, specifically beta-glucan) and try to use maple syrup whenever possible to sweeten them. Opt for unsweetened natural nut butters over the processed kinds.
The Best Low Sugar Jam
There are a lot of jams on the market, but I prefer using one with less sugar (especially for these bars).
I used the new Bonne Maman Intense Strawberry Spread (the other flavours would work too) that has 38% less sugar vs regular jam but still tastes amazing. Using a lower sugar jam makes me feel even better about keeping these bars on hand for a quick healthier snack! Note that this original post was a sponsored Instagram post, but you guys loved them so much that I wanted to put them on the blog (this blog isn’t sponsored) to make them easier to find!
If you’re feeling extra crafty you can make your own chia jam for these bars in a pinch out of fresh or frozen fruit, maple syrup and chia seeds.
I can’t wait to see this one come to life in your kitchens you are going to LOVE these! You can use oat flour to make them gluten free or use a seed butter to make them nut free and they freeze well. I mean, honestly… is there anything they can’t do? 😉
Other Healthier Snack Recipes
If you are feeling ambitious and like the vibe of this recipe try out this Peanut Butter & Jam Chia Pudding recipe that is one of my favs! I make a batch of homemade granola once a month to throw on top of fruit parfaits – here is my Top Secret Granola Recipe. Or if you’re SO over pumpkin everything, try switching it up with these Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Muffins!
Peanut Butter & Jam Bars
Peanut Butter & Jam Bars
A childhood favourite combination, these bars are healthy and made from simple ingredients! This makes around 18 small bars depending on how big you cut them.
- 1 ½ cups large flake oats
- ½ cup flour (whole wheat, all-purpose or GF)
- ¾ cup natural smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup melted butter (or vegan butter or coconut oil)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3/4-1 cup lower sugar fruit spread or chia jam (I used Bonne Maman)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8x8” baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor combine the oats, flour, peanut butter, melted butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Process until it is fine and sticks together when pressed between your fingers.
- Press ¾ of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, spread evenly with the Bonne Maman Strawberry Spread, and crumble the remaining oat mixture on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes and cool completely before cutting into bars and serving. These keep refrigerated or in the freezer for a quick snack!