These little DIY Card Boxes are the perfect way to repurpose old cards that are JUST too pretty to throw away! They are so simple to make and take less than 5 minutes to put together!
Cards are such a sweet little gesture and are so nice to receive, but do you ever wonder what to do with them after? It’s nice to keep the really sentimental ones (I have a box full of them), but instead of just putting your cards into the recycling, this fun little DIY gives them another purpose! Our team member (also my sister in law!) Brea shared this awesome idea to repurpose those gorgeous cards into gift boxes. It really only takes a few simple steps to make and they look so adorable.
Our minds have been in holiday mode so we immediately thought this would be so great for Christmas but you could really do this anytime of year if you have a small gift that needs to be wrapped up. The size of your box will depend on the size of your card. I think this would make the cutest way to give someone a gift card or sweet piece of jewelry (maybe even vintage) you’ve picked up!
We’ve been a big fan of DIY’s this year and making little presents for hostess gifts or teachers like these Rosemary Roasted Nuts, or this Pink Peppermint Body Scrub. It’s so nice to receive homemade gifts and as an added bonus you can make these gifts zero-waste. How nice of a gift would it be to receive a gift card to a local coffee shop wrapped in one of these boxes with a little container of cookies on the side?
Here is a visual step by step guide to making these boxes with a written tutorial!
DIY Card Boxes
- Cut your card in half along the seam.
- Take one half of the card (the less pretty half) and cut off 1/2 cm of one long side and 1/2 cm of one short side (this will be the bottom of the box).
- Mark an X on the centre of each half of the cards by placing a ruler going corner to corner length ways and marking a line in the centre each way (you’ll want to make sure you’re writing your X on the inside of the card as this will become the inside of your box).
- Fold the short sides inwards to the X so that the edges meet in the centre of the card. Pinch the seams together to get a nice clean fold. Unfold the card and repeat the same step with the long edges of the card.
- On each short end of the card, cut along the fold just until it reaches the other folded edge (this should be about an inch). This will create four tabs in total (see the picture).
- Fold the each tab up and inwards to start to form your box, your previous folds will help structure the box.
- Once your tabs are folded inwards take the remaining edge of the card and fold over the tabs to keep them in place and create the ends of your box.
- Repeat with the other half of the card and assemble box by placing the larger box over the smaller box!