I picked up some local Gouda cheese at a local market one day on a whim. I had no clue what I was going to do with it. But it was Gouda, so I couldn’t imagine it going to waste. That was one smart move Tori.
We had finished a long morning of picking apples a few weeks ago (I swear the tree was growing more apples as we picked: it was endless, not that I’m complaining!), and we were all famished! I threw this in the pan and crossed my fingers. It’s official, crossing your fingers works!
- 4 slices good quality whole grain bread
- 6 Medium Gouda Slices (or enough to cover a slice of bread)
- Thinly Sliced Apple, skin on
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat on the stove.
- Spread a thin layer of butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place two slices of bread, butter side down, in the pan. Layer the cheese, apple slices (about 2 slices of cheese and a few thin apple slices per sandwich) and sprinkle each half with the thyme. Top with another thin slice of cheese and place the other slice of bread on top of each sandwich, butter side out.
- Grill the sandwiches on each side until golden brown and the cheese has melted and serve.