Grilled vegetable skewers are the perfect way to show off your market haul or make use of your veggie garden if you’re so lucky! Here is our new go-to recipe along with a few summer grilling tips to up your grill-game!
Grilled veggies on their own are incredible – the grilling brings out the sweetness of the veggies and the grill lends a smoky flavour. We took these to the next level and added a herbed butter to these grilled vegetable skewers when they came off the BBQ and it was SO YUMMY. I used parsley and chives in my butter but you can use whatever you have on hand, there are no rules here!
I think this is one of my favourite ways to serve vegetables. You can make them ahead, they are so showy, and of course they are packed with nutrition! You can try almost any vegetable in your skewers to customize them based on what’s in your fridge. You can also try adding a protein like chicken or tofu to your skewers and serve them over a bed of cooked quinoa for a complete meal.
Summer grilling is pretty straight forward, but these few tips will make you a grill master! I talked about our barbecue and outdoor space last summer if you’re interested in click here.
- Charred or burned foods(especially meat) are unhealthy and produce compounds that have been linked with cancer. Trim excess fat off of any meat, don’t overcook your food, marinate meats (helps prevent the smoke from adhering to the meat) and make your meals as veggie heavy as possible (always a good idea). For more safe grilling tips check out this article!
- Bring ingredients to room temperature before putting them on the barbecue for even cooking.
- Try to avoid over-moving things once on the grill. This way you get an even cook and great grill marks (so satisfying)!
- Preheat the grill to sterilize it and be mindful of your heat so that it’s not too high (again to avoid burning). If you really want to nerd out over your grill game the Washington Post talks more about this here.
- Rest your meat before slicing into it by covering it with aluminum foil for around 10 minutes. This will help retain the juices of the meat.
- Clean your grill while it’s still hot – so much easier. You want to ensure you use a coarse brush for this that’s meant for the barbecue.
Grilled Vegetable Skewers with Herbed Butter
Make these with fresh, local vegetables for a happy crowd! These grilled vegetable skewers are delicious and the perfect addition to any meal!
- 12 large mushrooms (stems removed)
- 2 - 3 zucchini (yellow or green)
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 3 corn on the cob (pre-cooked)
- 1/2 cup butter or vegan butter
- 1 cup fresh herbs (loosely packed)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 green onion (sliced)
Finely chop all the herbs and add to the butter. Mix thoroughly. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a small food processor and process until herbs are blended into the butter. Set aside.
Prepare all your vegetables to make for easy assembly of skewers. Cut your zucchini into slices that are 1/2" thick. Cut onion in half, then into squares that are approximately 1-2" squares. Carefully slice corn on the cob into thirds with a very sharp knife and bell peppers into 1-2" squares.
Using metal skewers, assemble skewers by layering the vegetables on each.
Place the skewers on a hot barbecue and rotate throughout cooking process to ensure vegetables are evenly cooked throughout. Serve with the herbed butter (you can put it on yourself or let guests butter their own hot skewers).
We used chives and parsley in the butter but basil or any other herb will also work!