The cat is out of the bag… I colour my own hair at home! Truth be told, it is super simple and I can’t imagine how much time and money it has saved me over the years. I’m thrilled to be sharing my secrets with you today. Here are my tips and tricks for getting gorgeous, salon-quality colour AT HOME!
I love colouring my hair, especially as we head into a new season. It’s such an easy way to update your look and (of course) cover those pesky grey hairs. However, not all hair colour products are created equal. I’ve worked my way through a number of different at-home hair colouring kits and my go-to brand is Schwarzkopf Keratin Color who I partnered with for this post. It does a great job of covering my greys with long-lasting colour and shine, and the K-Bond-Plex Anti-Breakage Technology helps strengthen my hair (up to 80% less breakage vs. untreated hair!). This is especially important for those of us with long hair that’s prone to breakage!
The process is truly SO SIMPLE! Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Place a towel on the counter (and maybe also on the floor) just in case you’re clumsy like me and spill anything! One thing I love about this product is that it doesn’t drip (but I’m just not always graceful lol!)
- Vaseline for your hair line (I find this helps keep the colour from getting on my skin)
- A hair clip that will hold I all of your hair
- An old shirt to wear for colouring (with my long hair, a towel is not always enough)
The shade I used here is the Schwarzkopf Keratin Color 4.0 Cappuccino, but they have 14 gorgeous shades to choose from in this line that are available at major retailers in Canada. It typically retails for $15.99 a box: I use two boxes for my hair as I have a ton of hair. If you have long hair, consider buying two boxes as well —the last thing you want is to get half way through your hair colour to discover that you’re running short!
Here is how I colour my hair at home in 3 easy steps to get professional results with Schwarzkopf Keratin Color (there’s a video tutorial!). When you’re ready, unbox the kit and keep all of the contents nearby:
STEP 1: PRE-COLOUR SERUM TO PROTECT HAIR AND GET EVEN COLOUR RESULTS FROM ROOT TO TIP
- Using my fingertips, I apply a thin layer of Vaseline on the skin surrounding my hairline (you may want to drape an old hand towel across your shoulders and clip it together under your chin as well). These are optional steps, but I find they work for me!
- Wear the gloves provided in the kit (keep them on through the entire colouring process) and massage the pre-colour serum into the tips of your hair. This step is designed to protect and strengthen your dry ends and help even out the colour all the way from your roots to your tips.
STEP 2: COLOUR CREAM WITH KERATIN-COMPLEX FOR LONG-LASTING COLOUR AND 100% GREY COVERAGE
- Follow the directions and empty the Colour Cream into the Applicator Bottle. Place the cap back on the bottle and shake it until well-mixed.
- Apply the colour evenly to your dry unwashed hair as per the directions, starting at the roots and working your way toward the tips of your hair, massaging it in to your hair. There are separate instructions in the package depending on whether you are colouring your hair for the first time or applying it for regrowth, so you can’t go wrong. Once the colour is applied, I simply twist up my hair and clip it.
STEP 3: BREAKTHROUGH K-BOND PLEX CONDITIONER COATS HAIR AFTER COLOURING FOR ADDED STRENGTH AND SHINE
- Once the colour has worked its magic (again, follow the directions, it only takes 20-45 minutes to develop) all you need to do is rinse it out and apply the K-BOND-PLEX conditioner into towel-dried hair to help protect and seal in your colour. This is like getting a luxe salon treatment!
Of course, once you colour your hair you want to protect it from fading. I’ve been using GLISS Hair Repair products (see my earlier article here about the hair care products I use every day) and now I’m going to try the GLISS Color Guard line. It still has the repairing benefits of keratin, but it also has built-in UVA/UVB filters to help keep your colour from fading. If you have coloured, tinted or highlighted hair, give it a try.
I hope you found this helpful! I would love to hear from you if you’ve tried this at home and of course, if you have any questions for me, please post them below.
Thank you Schwarzkopf for sponsoring this post! All opinions are my own.
Photography & Video by Mackenzie Jane Photo