There are few things more challenging than getting a healthy dinner on the table after a busy day! I swear that it’s one of the hardest parts of being an adult (let’s not get started on taxes and laundry). I sure have a bigger appreciation for my mom these days!
Polenta is one of those foods that can feel daunting to make! Using pre-made polenta that you just need to slice makes this dish an absolute breeze to whip up for a quick Italian-inspired meal. You can easily make this dish vegan by using a vegan spread (in the dairy section by the butter) instead of the butter and either omitting the parmesan or using vegan parmesan cheese instead. The vegan parmesan at Nature’s Fare is REALLY GOOD and of course all of these ingredients can be easily found at the store! This dish is a part of a healthy in-store Meal Kit series with my friends at Nature’s Fare Markets who are on a mission to make getting healthy meals on the table THAT much easier!
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (I used Maison Orphee)
- 1 – 680g tube San Genaro polenta
- 2 Tbsp. butter or vegan spread
- 1/2 c. finely diced yellow onion (1 small onion)
- 2 cloves crushed fresh garlic
- 4 c. sliced white and/or brown mushrooms
- ½ c. stock (vegetable or chicken)*
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3” sprig fresh rosemary (leave intact)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- ½ c. freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- extra thyme or rosemary sprigs for garnish
*I buy the Better Than Bouillion brand as you can make just as much as you like and reduce any waste. You can alternately use red wine!
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a medium baking dish with olive oil.
- Cut the polenta into 1” discs and set aside.In a large frying pan heat the olive oil and add the polenta (you may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan). Fry the polenta on each side until golden brown, 8-10 minutes a side, and arrange in the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a large frying pan heat the butter or vegan margarine on medium heat: add the diced onion. Sauté until the onion is transparent, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms start to soften, approximately 10 minutes. Add the broth, thyme, sprig of rosemary, salt and pepper and stir occasionally until the mushrooms are fully cooked and softened and the mixture is thick. Remove the mushrooms from the stove and evenly spread it over the arranged polenta. Top with the parmesan cheese if using and bake until the cheese is just golden brown, approximately 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the thyme and/or rosemary sprigs if desired and serve!
This post was sponsored by Nature’s Fare Markets. All opinions are my own.