We’ve worked with Naked Snacks to create the ‘Keep it Fraîche’ snack mix that is filled with my favourite ingredients to keep you fuelled all holiday season long! And if you’ve ever wondered what I eat in a day…. scroll to the end!
The Importance of Healthy Snacking
With everything going on in the world, what we put in our bodies has probably never been more important. For years I have packed around the same snack that I created to keep me energized (it’s my “perfect” snack) when I’m on the go that also prevents me from making bad food choices in any situation. I am really happy that I can share it with you in a ready-to-go package!
Naked Snacks are a staple in my house. In fact, you’ll find a bag in my purse, my car, and a whole drawer full in our pantry! They are chock full of delicious quality ingredients and I appreciate how they follow the 80/20 rule – meaning 80% super healthy and 20% of slight indulgence. It’s all about balance. The Keep it Fraîche snacks are live now on the Naked Snacks website and much like me at bedtime, they may not last long!
About the Keep it Fraîche Snack
The ‘Keep it Fraîche’ snack is a combination of dried cherries, coconut ribbons, dark chocolate disks, pumpkin seeds, raw almonds, walnuts, and cashews. It’s the right mix of salty and sweet and was designed with intention. With a nod to my Okanagan heritage with the cherries, it is a bit heavier on the nuts to help maintain a more stable blood sugar (and energy level) throughout the day. I added walnuts to give a boost of heart & brain-healthy omega-3 fats, almonds for vitamin E and magnesium, and dark chocolate for antioxidants (ok, for flavour but the antioxidants sure are nice).
I love this mix because it is SO versatile! It’s perfect just as it is but it also makes the perfect addition to a cheese board (check out this tutorial that you can scale for any number of people).
About the Boxes
The Keep it Fraîche snack is featured in 3 different size boxes – 6 snacks, 11 snacks, or 21 snacks! The boxes contain my all time favourite snacks and have an assortment of both sweet and savoury options. Each of the boxes contain 2 of the ‘Keep it Fraîche’ snacks and the rest are packed with snacks I know you’ll love too! The boxes make great gifts for the holidays – either keeping them intact or using the snacks as stocking stuffers. Click here to shop the boxes!
About Naked Snacks
Naked Snacks is a BC company and is founded by husband and wife team Neil and Ryley, two AMAZING people! They donate a snack to Breakfast Club of Canada for every box they ship, and are such lovely people that I am honoured to know.
They founded Naked Snacks with the intention of creating healthy food that isn’t boring. They’ve created some truly delicious snacks like Hearty Tamari, Sriracha Cashews, and 3pm Goji that are perfect for fuelling your day (those little chocolate-covered espresso beans are my everything in the afternoon)! The Maple Praline Almonds are PERFECT for adding to a cheeseboard (assuming they don’t get gobbled up first!) and you will find me with a bag of Aloha Kauai pretending I’m on a beach this year.
What I Eat in a Day
I’ve been asked a gazillion times what I eat in a day as a dietitian. First, here are a few of my ‘rules’ (but actually I don’t do rules per se… more guidelines):
- I don’t count calories.. and really don’t advocate for doing so. I listen to my body, eat when I’m hungry and stop when I’m comfortable. It’s a whole other blog post but it can lead to an unhealthy obsession and isn’t very useful as a metric.
- I eat mostly plants, but am not vegan.
- I try to eat foods as close to how nature made them.
- To keep my energy levels stable I don’t eat a high carb lunch.
- I reserve sweets for special occasions or when I really feel like it – dessert is not an everyday thing for me.
- I don’t eat late at night unless I’m really hungry – which happens if I stay up too late. So I try my best to get to sleep early to prevent this.
As a food blogger my daily ‘diet’ is really all over the map since we cook so much, but this is pretty much a typical day:
- Green Smoothie (this one is our fav)
- Piece of whole grain thin toast with natural nut butter
- Black tea with milk
- Hearty Soup (usually bean-based) or a salad with protein
- Whole grain crackers with hummus or cheese and an an apple
- Black tea with milk or a coffee (last one of the day)
- My Trail Mix (a couple handfuls)
- Cut up veggies (if I’m still hungry)
this varies every night but could look like any one of these – often something from my meal plan
- Tofu, chicken or shrimp stir fry with tons of veggies and rice
- Small piece of lasagne with a big salad
- Salmon filet with sautéed veggies and baby potatoes