Is there anything better than moist, fudgy, old-fashioned brownies fresh out of the oven? This is my classic recipe for decadent, chocolatey one-bowl brownies.
We asked how many of you wanted this recipe on Instagram a couple weeks back and it’s safe to say the answer was an overwhelming yes! I think one person voted no and my DMs were flooded with people asking if they were ok, haha! There’s no doubt about it: a good brownie is one of the best sweet treats.
I am not even going to try pretend this is a “healthy” recipe, it’s got allllll the butter and sugar in it. I figured if you’re going to indulge once in awhile it better be worth it! I’m usually on a mission to make recipes healthier and give them a makeover, but I’ve left this one in its decadent glory. If you ARE looking for a bit of a healthier brownie then these Coconut Black Bean Brownies are gonna be your go-to recipe for a less indulgent (and gluten free brownie) version.
I included a recipe for fluffy chocolate icing, but to be honest I don’t usually ice them: they are sweet enough on their own. On the rare occasion that I do ice them I like to add a bit of almond extract but you can just use vanilla if you’re a bit of a purist.
The Key to a Good Brownie
Now these are more of a fudgey brownie than a cake brownie. They have that really rich chocolate flavour to them and are more on the dense side. I have a couple tricks up my sleeve to help you master these.
- Use a good quality cocoa as it’ll make a big difference here! Dutch process cocoa will give you the darkest result.
- Do NOT over bake your brownies. I know it sounds simple but you want to cook them jussst long enough so that they’re done and not a minute more. As soon as the toothpick comes out clean and they start to pull away from the sides, pull em out!
- Use a wooden spoon to mix the brownies and don’t over-mix once the flour is added. No fancy equipment required here, just a bowl, a wooden spoon and some elbow grease.
Happy weekend my friends, I hope you love this recipe. It was one of the first things I made as a little girl in the kitchen.
These decadent fudgy one-bowl chocolate brownies are so easy to make and will be everyone's favourite treat!
- 1 cup melted butter (or vegan butter)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cocoa (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (scant)
Line a 9x13" baking pan with parchment paper (spray the pan with cooking spray first or wet the parchment to help it stick). Preheat the oven to 350F.
In a medium bowl combine the butter, sugar and vanilla and mix together with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs, one at a time and stirring vigorously after each addition, until well combined.
Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt and mix just to combine. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan using a rubber spatula and smooth over to make an even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the brownies just pull away from the pan and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into squares before serving. These freeze well.
Chocolate Icing (optional)
- 1/3 cup butter (or vegan butter)
- 1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
Cream the butter and add the cocoa, corn syrup or honey, vanilla and icing sugar. Add just enough milk to create a thick fluffy icing. Spread the icing over the brownies once they are completely cooled before cutting into squares.