It is no secret that we love pancakes in our house, and these Apple Ring Pancakes? Comfort food at its finest. Slices of apple coated in pancake batter with a hint of cinnamon, yes please! Basically a healthier version of an apple fritter… keep reading for the recipe that the kids will LOVE!
I created these a long time ago and just pulled out the recipe again for the kids the other week. They were obsessed! Charlie thought he was eating donuts, and they even kept well in the fridge to serve as snacks (I doubled my batch knowing they would be gobbled up).
Living in Kelowna, I always look for the BC Tree Fruit sticker on my apples so that I can support the local growers. We are so fortunate to have such beautiful fruit at our fingertips I can’t help but take advantage of it!
You can use any apple you want here: pretty much any variety will work! Just note that varieties like Spartan and MacIntosh will cook up softer, and others like Granny Smith or Gala will stay firmer. You can slice your apples thinner too if you have a firmer variety on hand so that they have a chance to soften a bit more.
If you like apple fritters, these pancakes are for YOU! They taste like apple donuts without being deep fried and are lightly coated in pancake batter. So essentially they end up being mostly apple – total mom win!
As far as tools go, I highly recommend that you invest in a good apple corer. I loved this CuisiPro one (pictured a couple pics above) as it has a lever that opens up and is nice and sharp, saving me a world of frustration. It’s also one of the least expensive kitchen tools I own.
Serve these pancakes with vanilla yogurt as a dip if desired and a bit of maple syrup and you’ve quickly become the most popular person in the house – congratulations!
Apple Ring Pancakes
Apple Ring Pancakes
The perfect fall treat, these apple ring pancakes are the ultimate comfort food!
- 3 large BC Apples (I used Gala)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or vegan butter
- 2 cups flour (all purpose, whole wheat or spelt flour)
- ¼ cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk*
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave and cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork and add the buttermilk, vanilla and cooled melted butter
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed: do not over mix! It will still look lumpy.
- Peel and core the apples. Cut each apple on its side (you want to keep the hole in the middle) into ¼” slices.
- Heat a griddle or large pan with a small amount of vegetable oil on medium heat until the oil sizzles when a drop of water is added to the pan.
- Using a set of tongs, dip each apple slice into the batter and cook until lightly brown on each side.
- Enjoy with whatever you like to dress your pancakes with. These are amazing with a dollop of vanilla yogurt!
*If you don’t have buttermilk you can add 1 Tbsp. of white vinegar or lemon juice to your favourite milk and let it sit for 5 minutes as a substitute.
For a more traditional pancake check out this Angel Cake recipe or my Best Fluffy Vegan Pancakes here! I have a new festive version coming soon (I have no plans of laying off the pancakes for weekend fun, we are totally obsessed over here!).
If you liked these Apple Ring Pancakes let me know in the comments below!